Author Topic: Important News  (Read 3411 times)

Bro'tac of Chillak

• Global Moderator
  • Lord Grand Master

• Personal Text
    Hero of Jaffa's people
    • View Profile
Re: Important News
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 04:46:35 am »
WAW is dead as it is.  I mean, as it stands, the game has been entirely broken and rekt by folks figuring out exploits, and most of the internal mechanics have already been figure out, I mean, LR were running wargames in 2.0 with realistic outcomes. There's not much to be divulged by making WAW open code, and currently, as it stands, its too broken and rekt to play.  Open Source seems to be the only option to go forward. As for folks stealing the code and making money, lol. There isn't money in this shit, else corporate shits would have long claimed their stake.  I was always under the impression that waw was created to be a better bloc, and to that effect, it has achieved a solid meh/10. Admin being absent plays a large role in that tho, with the rampant cheating and what not. [spoiler]looking at you horsefuckers[/spoiler] Open sourcing the game cannot make it worse than it is, that much is sure.  An active admin would go a long way to fixing the problems of waw. I mean, even if you do open source WAW like you said, but go missing again, it won't really help it, and it will be hard to blame folks for just making clones.  There's only so much the power blocs can do to keep the game legit. This game needs an active admin more than anything.  If Heidi wants to come back and try to fix this game, and actually stick around, i'm all for it, and will come back and play. But if its just another yearly update, meh, for what purpose?
This exactly

grid

• Youngling

• Personal Text
    bitches and hoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 05:11:34 am »
My preference is an open source game, and I imagine that's how almost everyone will feel. I'm going to be honest here, we as a community have very little to lose from the game becoming open source, but there's quite a bit that we could potentially gain.

Let's say you make WaW open source. In all likelihood, we'll end up with a newer, better version of WaW. Most of the bugs should get fixed, and we'll probably get some new content in game. There might be more cheating, but with active administration we wouldn't need to worry too much about people 'gaming the system'. Patches, bans, and resets can fix just about any problems we run into. And with easier development, I suspect we'd be more far likely to have active administration in the first place.

On the other hand, let's say you release the source code and then don't provide us with active administration. Somebody WILL steal your source code and use it to create NextWaW, and they WILL try to make money off of it. From the community's perspective, that just means that we're less likely to have to quit playing our autistic browser games. But if I was the person who had put my time and effort into creating a game like this, I'd be pretty pissed off if someone else tried to make money off of my work.

So again, I'd prefer WaW to be open source, but I'm saying that as someone who basically has nothing to lose. I'd understand completely if you didn't choose to go down that road. And while I do think the game would end up being better if it was open source, you could still make WaW pretty decent again by just resetting the server and providing active administration.

I'd probably make a bloc clone tbh. Or something like that. I was never interested in the space aspect of waw, despite its clearly better coding.

But in general, I agree. Heidi, despite his faults, seemed to sincerely try a lot harder than Rumsod at getting the nuts and bolts right. Rumsodomy was all about new features and then breaking the game. Heidi wanted to ensure his features worked. Anyway, yeah, I think the WaW code would be a fantastic contribution to the community and would serve as the de facto base for bloc/waw style games moving forward. Heidi, you would solidify your legacy, imo. Several of us would try to do things with your source.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:14:01 am by grid »

Uranistan

• Master

• Personal Text
    OOGA BOOGA
    • Your Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 01:14:15 pm »
On the other hand, let's say you release the source code and then don't provide us with active administration. Somebody WILL steal your source code and use it to create NextWaW, and they WILL try to make money off of it.
Fuck yeah we do need active admins.
TE is cool but he flaked as well.

scots

• Knight

• Personal Text
    kill me plz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »
i'd host a fixed waw tbh

cxcxxxxx

• Global Moderator
  • Padawan

• Personal Text
    http://puu.sh/ifqBl/eca1f7df5f.gif
    • 8)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eregime.net
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »
50 people will host 50 games and none of them will ever realize that being able to look every day to see how many shitlords have shitlorded the mecahnics will be the most important.

LimpingGoat

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »
welcome back heidi

StarKiller

• Knight

• Personal Text
    Destroying stars since the dawn of entropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »
50 people will host 50 games and none of them will ever realize that being able to look every day to see how many shitlords have shitlorded the mecahnics will be the most important.

This tbqhwyfoevxyvowbxafam

Heidi has offered to be host, give us a server, base and a platform to go about doing what several of us wanted to do separately. It'll be way more effective to use what's being offered here instead of continuing to do your own thing from scratch. You'd all save lot's of time and energy just working on this together instead of overworking yourself separately and then flaking.[spoiler]Jaffa[/spoiler] With several of us, the workload can be considerably lightened.
https://wawgame.eu/world/4790/

Only good star is a dwarf starf.

Jaffa

• Grand Master

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »

This tbqhwyfoevxyvowbxafam

Heidi has offered to be host, give us a server, base and a platform to go about doing what several of us wanted to do separately. It'll be way more effective to use what's being offered here instead of continuing to do your own thing from scratch. You'd all save lot's of time and energy just working on this together instead of overworking yourself separately and then flaking.[spoiler]Jaffa[/spoiler] With several of us, the workload can be considerably lightened.

I can't help heidi out because I don't know python Aand honestly I think python is the wrong language for a game of this sort. By the time it would take me to learn python to a good enough level I could have likely made a shitload of progress on my game, possibly even released it.

Also I would actually rather work as a team then go it alone (someone's offered to help me once they learn php), but there are logistical issues with different languages and I suspect some people wouldn't want to work on a game unless it was their own or wouldn't agree on an idea.
Jaffacalling (11th of July 2014-31st of December 2015) is a fed leader, shill and qualityposter. He is known for creating the most federations, never breaking an agreement, winning the most wars, recruiting the most players, rusing the most players, Ruling over the Galaxy and being the greatest shitposter. He created Bion Government, Vidya Union, JIDF, MDL, CoEC, Draco Freedom Riders and 4th Reich

CCCP

• Knight

• Personal Text
    I like big butts and I can not lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »
If you open source like people already stated how much worse could it get? Open source it my man.

infantimpaler

• Lord Grand Master

• Personal Text
    Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 09:25:37 pm »
Open source it for the love of God. It not only increases development but also help a shit ton with bux fixing.
Visit us at #Sol. The official IRC of Solaris Novum!

Kamakazi Sunshine

• Master

• Personal Text
    Wait, I can put literally anything I want here? 卐
    • Space Wal-Mart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 01:35:17 am »
I don't much about about computers other than the one we got at my house, my mom put a couple games on there. But I vote open source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eA3XCvrK90

Bion Chrystal Meth for Trade - Mixed Economy
Now Freelance Moderating in Pink

Lunin

• Grand Master

• Personal Text
    The man, the legend, the annoying shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 03:12:19 pm »
Welcome back massa!

Also, YASSSSS!!!!!

pls do make WaW open source and great again. cxc and asap are excellent at being the authority, so I think it can be done that only tested and trusted members of the community can fiddle with it

edit: I mean the community version, ppl who want to make their own WaW is one thing, but I'm not here for the game anyway, but for you guys  <3 so it would make very little sense that ppl would try and fail to make half-hearted clones and host them themselves

unless they are really committed, but those probs wouldn't wait for the heidicode anyway, but cook their own pasta the way they like and understand/can see through it

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:17:54 pm by Lunin »

True Evangelion

• Administrator
  • Padawan

• Personal Text
    WaW Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 08:08:14 pm »
If we open source it, I would like to have people experienced in Django-REST-Framework and React.js, I think those frameworks are very robust and could incredibly improve both the code and the game. There is a module though I would have to hold back from open-sourcing, it's simply a security one that needs no modification.
Game Dev and Mod
Please! Report all bugs, exploits, and cheaters ASAP!
Moderation Content = Lime Green!

heidi

• Administrator
  • Lord Grand Master

• Personal Text
    Glorious Admin
    • Alpha and Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
OK, so this is what I will do.

I will go through the code and comment it through. I will then post that, the template language that basically is the html, and a dummy settings file without the stuff like database passwords etc.
I will also post an outline of the code, what each file/folder is for, and the hierarchical relationship between them.
In the readme I will post the modules the server is using, so you can run a copy of the game yourself.

This will take some time: once this is done and I can see that the github works, I would like to reset the game and the forums too. Opinions?

cxcxxxxx

• Global Moderator
  • Padawan

• Personal Text
    http://puu.sh/ifqBl/eca1f7df5f.gif
    • 8)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eregime.net
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 10:22:11 pm »
A reset is good. The free for all shitposting of the forums has made it a mess, and the game hasnt been playable for ages, with user created vigilante world breaking replacing admins.